Saturday 8 February 2014

AGGIE'S GUIDE TO REVISION 2014

      For those of you taking iGCSEs like me and are about to tear your hair out in frustration at the amount of material in front of you, don't. You'll cause some serious damage to your scalp. The question I get asked most often, after "How do you concentrate in class?" is "How do you revise?"
      You don't.
      Let me explain. Somehow, in the minds of teenagers, revision = cramming. Your immediate response is "No, of course not!" but it's true. Given the amount of work we have, including extra-curriculars, we just don't have time to revise. So here's my tips for you, it's what I do and it has worked for me since Primary School. Remember that different people learn in different ways, so if you find this doesn't quite match your style, don't worry; send me an e-mail silverstudies42@gmail.com and I'll be happy to reply! (assuming I'm not busy revising)

7 TIPS

Tip #1
Concentrate in class!
Really, this one should be obvious. Why doodle and daydream when your teacher is actually implanting the material into your brain? Why "revise" afterwards when there is actually a set time everyday to do it? Teachers are best at what they do: teach. They're the ones who know the subject best and know how to present it well. Concentrate in class and I promise 50% of your "revision" is done. You'll be surprised how much your brain remembers afterwards, if you just stop getting distracted in class-time.

Tip #2
Write notes.
These can be in any form, from straight-forward copied sentences from textbooks or your own paraphrased material.
Feeling lazy? Write in bullet-points. If you're a visual learner like me, it's also helpful to draw small labelled diagrams to help your brain link graphics to concepts. A great thing about the brain is it has a "left side" and a "right side"; so when I make notes, I usually put text on the left and pictures on the right.

Tip #3
Organization.
Feeling like your notes are all over the place? I have this notebook for the three sciences. I arrange notes by subject, then topic, then subtopic. Write a clear heading at the top of each page so it's easier to read.

Tip #4
Schedules.
For me, I have one day of the week for each subject. This can be arranged any way you like, as long as you feel comfortable working this way. Once you've made your timetable, stick to it! Don't procrastinate, whatever you do. You'll end up stacking up your revision and resorting to that "cramming" the week before examinations.

Tip #5
Break up revision hours into sessions.
What I find most effective is 1-hour slots. Sit down, promise you won't touch any electronic gadgets (i.e. phone, ipod, laptop, tablet etc). Have your water cup in front of you and begin. Either make notes or read notes you have made. Once the hour is up (use a timer/clock instead of your phone for this), get up, stretch by walking around to shake off that dull feeling in your bottom-side. Look at faraway objects for a change, especially green ones as they help your eyes and brain relax. Listen to soothing music (classical for me) for 15 minutes.
Next? Sit down again, of course. Make sure your 15 minutes do not turn into hours of texting and snapchatting, as that really is a waste of time.

Tip #6
Drink water while revising.
Keeping yourself hydrated is very important! More than once have I felt dizzy or tired during revision hours. Water really helps.

Tip #7
Sharing is caring!
Feeling bored whilst revising? Why not revise with friends?
*WARNING* Choose friends who you know will not distract you from revision; and vice versa! Ask each other questions and compare notes, who knows, you might have missed something! The best place to study with friends is away from your room, as miraculously you'll find something else interesting to do. Go out into open air, such as a field or a park bench.

WHAT I NEVER DO WHEN REVISING
Below are what I like to call the 4 Failed Methods of Revision:

1. Mnemonics
Reason --> you know have to remember double the stuff, if you think about it! Takes up too much space in the front of your brain.

2. Flashcards
Reason --> tiny bits of cards are very messy and undistinguishable from each other; they confuse my thoughts and cloud my judgement and who knows what else. Stay away from the little devils.

3. Downloading notes from the Internet
Reason --> Why? Because your own notes are much more effective and accurate, of course! Just think: would anyone actually spend time caring for YOUR exam and selflessly prepare for YOUR exam for YOU, for free? Unless that person is really empathetic and know you really well, most Internet material is of worse quality and may not be accurate. Moreover they might not be specifically targeted at your exam board. You're better off with your own ones, or trade with a trust-worthy friend.

4. Big, ugly handwriting
Reason --> Some people just can't stop the narcissism of looking at their own writing. Write neatly, compactly, so that your brain absorbs the material quicker. Huge loopy handwriting just distracts you, you'd tend to focus on the aesthetic beauty of the writing rather than the stuff it's saying. Writing small saves paper, too. *Note: My mom tells me off and says that the examiner can't see small words, but here's what I think: as long as it's neat anyone can read. Writing small saves time, ink, and space. Anyone would thank you for that!*


      I hoped this mini-guide helped; I repeat, everyone learns in different ways. You might find that my 4 failures are your 4 successes. You might find that my 7 tips are rubbish. Whatever you like. (I sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone in the above points.) It's your exam, it's your revision, and it's your future. Have confidence and trust your instincts whenever you're in doubt.

      Wishing you effective revision & good luck in your examinations,

No comments:

Post a Comment